Aztec Ruins Monument contains the remains of prehistoric Anasazi structures and is the second most important area in the Chaco area of ancestral Pueblo culture occupied between 850 and 1250. The ruins were named when European settlers mistakenly attributed them to the Aztecs. The site received UNESCO World Heritage designation in 1987 as part of the Chaco Culture World Heritage Site.
The largest preserved structure is the West Ruin, a D-shaped great house constructed in the early 1100s. The West Ruin had nearly 400 rooms. It was occupied for more than 200 years. In the center of the West Ruin’s plaza is the Great Kiva. It was rebuilt in 1934 by Earl Morris, archeologist for the American Museum of Natural History.
The Hubbard Site also dates from the early 1100s. It is one of only a handful of tri-walled structures in the Southwest. It has three concentric walls divided into 22 rooms, with a kiva.
There is a series of short videos about the site prepared by the Farmington Convention and Visitors BUREAU that you can see below:
Address: The monument is on Ruins Road in Aztec, New Mexico about ½ mile north of New Mexico Highway 516.
Phone: (505) 334-6174 extension 230
Hours: Daily, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. From Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day, the park is open until 6 p.m. Closed Thanksgiving, December 25 and January 1.
Admission: Adults, $5. Children 15 and under, free.