Lewis Antique Auto and Toy Museum

Lewis-Car-MuseumLocated along old Route 66, the Lewis Antique Auto and Toy Museum shows off Archie Lewis’ collection of cars, toys, trains – even old stoves that he has amassed over sixty years of collecting. He moved out to Moriarty from the East Mountains outside of Albuquerque a dozen years ago, so he would have the space to spread out. Inside his warehouse, there are about 30 restored antique cars and a vast array of toy cars, Lionel trains, and other toys. In the yard surrounding the warehouse, there are about 600 more, give or take, unrestored cars. You’ll see lots of Model A and Model T Fords and other old cars and trucks of every make and model. The museum is open most of the time and Archie Lewis is usually there to welcome visitors.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Address: 905 U.S. Route 66 East, Moriarty, NM 87035
Phone: 505-832-6131
Hours: Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays, noon to 3 p.m.
Website: On Facebook
Admission: Donations appreciated.

 

 

Advertisements

Lamy Railroad and History Museum

Lamy was named for Archbishop Jean-Baptiste Lamy, and the town lies within the Bishop John Lamy Spanish Land Grant, which dates to the 18th century. Lamy is primarily a railroad town. In 1879, as the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railroad laid its track through New Mexico, it bypassed Santa Fe because the grade for the roadbed leading to Santa Fe would have been too steep for the engines of the day. The railroad built a spur line to Santa Fe, and Lamy grew up where that spur connects to the main track.

In 1896, when the Fred Harvey Company built the luxurious El Ortiz Hotel by the train station, Lamy became an important railroad junction. Today, Lamy is a stop for Amtrak.

Legal Tender BuildingThe Lamy Railroad and History Museum features the story of Lamy and the AT&SF railroad. It is housed in a building that dates to 1881. The building was originally the Browne and Manzanares General Store. John Pfleuger took over the store and added a saloon and in 1894 he imported a hand-carved, cherry-wood bar from Bavaria. The saloon and general store served as headquarters for the village’s businessmen. Continue reading

Cerrillos Turquoise Mining Museum and Petting Zoo

Turquoise Mining MuseumCerrillos Turquoise Mining Museum and Petting Zoo is part of the Casa Grande Trading Post. Starting in the mid-1970s, the Brown family built what is now a 28-room hacienda. Five of the rooms are devoted to the trading post and the mining museum.

The mining museum started as a way to preserve the history of the village of Cerrillos. Todd and Patrician Brown began gathering discarded antiques and artifacts from around the town. There are old mining tools and equipment, rocks, bottles, tools, insulators, coffee cans, hand grinders and displays about the town’s mining history.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Address: 17 Waldo Street, Cerrillos, NM 87010
Phone: 505-438-3008
Hours: Daily, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Website: http://www.casagrandetradingpost.com
Admission: $2 per person or $5 for three people. Other group rates are available. Food for the animals is $2.00/bag

The Chimayó Museum

Entrance gate to the Chimayó Museum

The Chimayó Museum is located on Plaza del Cerró, the center of a Spanish Colonial settlement established in 1740. Plaza del Cerró is enclosed by contiguous adobe buildings. Its three entrances are only wide enough to admit people on foot and animals, making it easy to defend. It is one of the last fortified plazas in New Mexico.

The museum building is a classic adobe with viga ceilings and dirt floors – the traditional style that is the foundation of contemporary Southwestern architecture.

The building was originally home to Jose Ramon Ortega and Petra Mestas Ortega, ancestors of the world-renowned Ortega family of Rio Grandé weavers. The couple raised 14 children in the building.

The museum is dedicated to educating the public, particularly young New Mexicans, about the history and culture of Chimayó and its surrounding communities, and to supporting the work of established and emerging local artists.

The museum has a collection of photographs dating to the late 1800s and early 1900s that show the everyday lives, work and faith of Chimayó’s people.

The museum also display contemporary work, including the Española Student Art Show and Los Maestros.

The museum is run by the nonprofit Chimayó Cultural Preservation Association.

Address:      Plaza del Cerro, Chimayó, NM 87522
Phone:         505-351-0945
Hours:         Wednesday through Saturday, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Closed October through April
Website:      http://www.chimayomuseum.org/
Admission: By donation