Cleveland is a small town located just two miles northwest of Mora in what was once a large wheat farming region in northern New Mexico. In 1910, over 500,000 bushels of wheat were produced in the Mora county and there were a number of mills operating to handle the production of flour. The Cleveland Roller Mill was built and operated by the Cassidy family. It played a prominent role in the area until the middle of the 20th century when wheat farming petered out in the area. Built in the early twentieth century, the mill is a three story, adobe, water powered roller mill. A roller mill uses steel rollers to pound wheat into flour, rather than using a mill stone to grind wheat to flour.
The Cleveland Roller Mill became a museum in 1989 and it is the only flour mill of its size and type that has been restored to operating condition in the southwestern United States. It is now used only for demonstrations. The museum exhibits describe the history of the mill and provide an historical overview of north central New Mexico, emphasizing the wheat farming and milling industry that existed in Mora County until World War II. Continue reading