The Artesia Museum and Art Center is housed in the Moore-Ward House, which was built about 1906 and is an unusual example of a cobblestone facade. The museum came into being as a result of the 1968 bequest of the building by the S. S. Ward estate and the decision of the City of Artesia to support the museum as part of the city government. The Museum opened in 1970.
The museum focuses on the history of Artesia and its surrounding area which is known for oil and gas and dairy farming, and more recently, for its Federal Law Enforcement Training Center. At the museum, you’ll learn about these activities as well as stories about the nitroglycerine plant and local refineries. There is a children’s activity area. Behind, the Moore Ward House, there is a building that houses their collection of vehicles. The Museum has always had an active program of community activities, art shows and traveling exhibitions offered in the Art Annex, another old house next door. The activities and programs outgrew the Art Annex and it was torn down to make way for a new multi-use facility which opened in 2015.
Address: 505 West Richardson Avenue, Artesia, NM 88210
Hours: 9:00–12:00 and 1:00–5:00, Tuesday–Friday; 1:00–5:00, Saturday
Admission: No charge
The Lea County Museum was created by the Lovington Women’s Club in 1969. That’s when the club purchased the Commercial Hotel, which was about to be razed. The Commercial Hotel was built in 1918 by a group of Lovington ranchers and businessmen. Since 1969, the Museum has acquired several more buildings — some, like the Baker School building were moved to their site. And others, are commercial buildings put to new use, like the Lister Building across the street from the Hotel. Continue reading
Philmont Scout Ranch is located on what once was part of the Maxwell Land Grant. The land was later purchased by Oklahoma oilman Waite Phillips. Phillips named his ranch Philmont, combination of his name and the Spanish word monte, or mountain. In 1938, Phillips made the first of two gifts of his New Mexico ranch to the Boy Scouts of America to establish a national wilderness camping area.
Today, Philmont Scout Ranch is more than just a wilderness camp. It also houses the National Volunteer Training Center for the Boy Scouts and three distinct museums. Continue reading
Did you know that Teddy Roosevelt’s Rough Riders came from New Mexico? Visit the City of Las Vegas Museum and Rough Riders Memorial Collection to find out about New Mexico’s role in the iconic group of fighters from the Spanish American War. Las Vegas hosted the Rough Rider Reunions for many years and much of the memorabilia and artifacts relating to the 1st Volunteer Cavalry Regiment, better known as the Rough Riders is at the museum. Continue reading
Lamy was named for Archbishop Jean-Baptiste Lamy, and the town lies within the Bishop John Lamy Spanish Land Grant, which dates to the 18th century. Lamy is primarily a railroad town. In 1879, as the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railroad laid its track through New Mexico, it bypassed Santa Fe because the grade for the roadbed leading to Santa Fe would have been too steep for the engines of the day. The railroad built a spur line to Santa Fe, and Lamy grew up where that spur connects to the main track.
In 1896, when the Fred Harvey Company built the luxurious El Ortiz Hotel by the train station, Lamy became an important railroad junction. Today, Lamy is a stop for Amtrak.
The Lamy Railroad and History Museum features the story of Lamy and the AT&SF railroad. It is housed in a building that dates to 1881. The building was originally the Browne and Manzanares General Store. John Pfleuger took over the store and added a saloon and in 1894 he imported a hand-carved, cherry-wood bar from Bavaria. The saloon and general store served as headquarters for the village’s businessmen. Continue reading