Philmont Scout Ranch is located on what once was part of the Maxwell Land Grant. The land was later purchased by Oklahoma oilman Waite Phillips. Phillips named his ranch Philmont, combination of his name and the Spanish word monte, or mountain. In 1938, Phillips made the first of two gifts of his New Mexico ranch to the Boy Scouts of America to establish a national wilderness camping area.
Today, Philmont Scout Ranch is more than just a wilderness camp. It also houses the National Volunteer Training Center for the Boy Scouts and three distinct museums. Continue reading
Raton’s Scout Museum is not related to the museums at the Philmont Boy Scout Ranch. Raton’s Scout Museum reflects the passions of Dennis and Sue Downing – and displays the vast collection of scouting memorabilia they have put together over the years. There are uniforms, scout kerchiefs and slides, books, flags and badges from all over the world and from the very beginning of scouting in 1907 England.
The museum attracts scouts as they come and go from Philmont (about 45 minutes away), and it provides a safe and interesting place as they wait for trains and rides.
Address: 400 South 1st Street, Raton, NM 87740
Hours: Generally open daily from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., unless Dennis and Sue Downing are out of town. Call for an appointment to have the museum opened.